Go Green Before You Go Into Labor
Eco-conscious parents can start protecting their new bundle of joy before he or she is born by selecting products that are healthy and green. With the brand-new, innovative Peaceful Nursery iPhone app, everything you need to know about designing and creating a healthy and eco-friendly nursery is right at your fingertips.
To guide expecting moms and dads in the right direction, the co-authors of The Peaceful Nursery - Healthy Home and Lifestyle experts Laura Forbes Carlin and Alison Forbes offer six suggestions for making your nursery healthy and eco-friendly.
1. Clean With All Natural Cleaning Products: Household cleaning products are one of the causes of indoor air pollution.
2. Buy Organic or Untreated Fabrics: Look for clothes and sheets made from natural materials like linen, wool, hemp, bamboo, silk, and organic cotton.
3. Decorate With Eco-Friendly Materials: Non-VOC paints are a healthier, more eco-friendly alternative. No matter what, paint your nursery at least a month in advance of your baby's arrival and keep the windows open, so that the majority of any VOCs and other solvents will have time to dissipate.
4. Buy Second-Hand Furniture or Borrow From A Friend:Used furniture more than five years old has most likely off-gassed the majority of toxins in finishes, paint or construction, which makes buying or borrowing used furniture an excellent way to be health conscious, stay within a budget, and practice recycling.
5. Keep It Simple and Don't Get Caught Up in the Hype:When shopping for your baby, keep in mind you may not need everything that's recommended. For example, if you have a dresser that's an appropriate height for changing the baby, you can just buy a changing station "top" for the dresser.
6. Keep A Shoeless Home:Shoes track in dirt and pesticides from outside onto our floors where babies spend a great deal of time. Remove your shoes before entering your home and avoid using pesticides and insecticides in your yard.
The Peaceful Nursery features a quick and easy shopping checklist of all the right items to buy for the nursery, along with tips about what to avoid, and an explanation of what chemicals are often found in each product. A paint guide, tips on everything from helping baby sleep to uses of color, and a section on how to arrange your nursery are also included, along with video insights from the app's co-authors.