Greensleeve, An Eco-Friendly iPad Case: Review
The Greensleeve iPad case from Gone Studios is a new product that’s surprisingly old-fashioned. The company has combined a modern design with electricity-free manufacturing. Yes, you read that correctly, the company uses foot-powered sewing machines to produce this USA-made case--no, they aren't Amish. After seeing the devastating effects of the Gulf Coast oil spill, Gone Studio founder and creator Dr. George Elvin wanted to create an iPad case that deviated from the norm. The Greensleeve is made of all-natural sheep wool felt and 100% plastic-free, waste-free, and energy-free.
- It’s fulfills all of it’s purported functions: encasing the iPad, leaving the headphones jack accessible, offering reasonable protection for the device.
- It’s eco-friendly. It’s a simple way to reduce one’s effect on the ever-growing mass of waste and non-biodegradable products.
- It’s spill and water-resistant (within reason); Since it’s still made of felt and the case leaves the corner edges at the top uncovered, I wouldn’t push my luck.
- It’s design and the two color options (kiwi and charcoal) are visually appealing
- It’s not the most sturdy and drop-resistant of all cases, as it is still simply wool.
- With too much hard use, the stitching may not hold up as well as other less environmentally beneficial products.
- The case fit is a bit loose and a bit awkward looking. This could be to allow for a more durable casing on the iPad, but that would likely counteract the environmental benefits of using this one in the first place.
- While this is fairly obvious, its worth noting that this is still only a sleeve and use of the iPad will inevitably require people to remove it from the Greensleeve. With so many cases out there that keep the iPad encased but still readily available to use, this is something that some may want to consider before purchasing.
It is exactly what’s advertised: a modern iPad sleeve that allows users to feel good about choosing an environmentally friendly option, without losing any of the basic functionality of other typical sleeves. The balance between benefits and drawbacks become a personal choice for the potential buyer. Durability and drop-protection is traded for a biodegradable and recyclable product, but for those looking for an alternative to the traditional case, Greensleeve is worth checking out.
Price: $ 29.90